Sunday, June 13, 2010

R A D I C A L has ruined my life

I read “R A D I C A L”. It came Thursday, and despite having VBS Friday morning and working on the VBS slide show some on Friday night, I still finished it Saturday morning. Awesome. I want everyone I know to read it. (Yeah, I want your life to be ruined, too!)  Read it.  You will not regret it. Truly life-changing. Truly. Life-changing.

Most of the things in the book God has already been teaching me and revealing to me. But what was so great was to have those things affirmed and to be challenged to more deliberately and passionately live the way Christ commanded - rather than just living the typical "I am an American Christian, and I am so glad God has blessed me" life.  Things that God has been speaking to me about and that I have been changing gradually will now be put as a top priority in my life.  And I'm very excited about the way God is using this book to work in my heart.  (Get it! Read it!)

One topic that he spoke of in the book was the number of people in the world who have never even heard the name of Jesus. That was something that has been “concerning” to me over the years, but unfortunately there was not an urgency that affected me very deeply. Maybe it was because I didn’t feel I could do much about it, or maybe partially because I never stopped to really think that long and hard about it, or maybe, even though I grew up in the Baptist church all my life and was taught about needs around the world, I guess I just never really considered it my personal responsibility. I'm not saying I didn't care. I did. I felt bad about it and wanted it to change, but, I mean, what could I really do about it?  

That was then.

This is now....

This morning in church we sang “Revelation Song”. Normally when I hear or sing that song I am moved by the beauty that I imagine I will experience on that day and the emotion of worshiping before the very throne of God. I usually cry (or at least tear up) when I attempt to envision how amazing it will be. It is an awesome song.

But today was different.  All I could imagine was what eternity will be like for the billions – both throughout history and who are now living around the world – who have never had an opportunity to hear the name of Jesus. They have never been told of his majesty, glory, or amazing love. Never told of his sacrifice. Never told of the opportunity they have to know the one, true God. It was if I could hear them saying, “Why did I never hear about Jesus? WHY did I never hear?”

What would it be like to realize that you had missed out on spending eternity with God – not because you had been told about him and had rejected Him, but because you had never been presented with the gospel? You never had a chance. You lived your entire life on earth without the opportunity to know him - to experience his love, his peace, his power, his strength in your daily life - and now you will spend eternity separated from him, paying for your sin. You realize that Jesus paid the price for your sin, but you never had the chance to accept his gift because no one ever told you, and now it is too late. You are paying the price for your own sin.

Please take a few minutes to listen, read the lyrics, and pray for those who have never heard.  (The part of the song where I completely lost it begins at 3:22 about the name of Jesus - the name that billions have never even heard.)
"Revelation Song"



I’m ruined. I don’t think I will ever see anything the same way again. Everything is different. I cried (wept, actually) when we sang the song in church today and continue to cry every time I let myself think about what it would be like to not know Jesus. I’m crying now while typing this.

I’m ruined. But I don’t want to go back. Ever.

(By the way, if you want to read the book, you can order it through our Christianbook.com page. If you can’t wait that long, I completely understand. Just get it! You can also listen to applicable sermons by Dr. David Platt at http://www.radicalthebook.com/. Go to "Resources" page for links.)

No comments: